What Instrument do our children learn first? Ukulele
Here are the five reasons we start with Ukulele:
- It is an instrument readily available to purchase at any time online.
- It is inexpensive, $20 for a decent Ukulele.
- The instrument requires fewer refined motor skills. Very young children (3 years old for example) can comfortably pick it up and be taught how to hold it and play it without their needing to have such refined motor skills as are needed with say the recorder. It is a rhythm instrument.
- Music on the first day of lessons! Children can learn to play a strum the first day of lessons that they can sing along with. Since their vocals are already developed, it is only a matter of time before they connect the songs they already love to sing to the notes from the Ukulele. Then, they are making music along with Papa!
- The musical skills learned with Ukulele are easily transferred to other instruments they wish to learn later.